The frame is constructed, as per the Bohm & Jensen instructions, of
PVC pipe I bought at a local hardware store. I made slight
modifications to accomodate the floats I used. They are attached with
hose clamps which are fed through slots I Dremeled in the frame.
Here is an aft view of the frame; I have inserted dummy thrusters into
the mounting brackets, to show how they will finally be mounted.
I've flipped the ROV over so you can see the bottom of the frame
here. In all the frame photos, note the holes drilled through the
PVC; this prevents air from becoming trapped in the frame and making
the ROV buoyant.
I didn't dive in and purchase a battery and charger and all that
right away. Instead, I acquired this 12V rechargeable supply which is
meant to be used by campers and such. The ROV power cord is a female
lighter socket, and I have a patch cord with two male ends that goes
from the port on the power supply to the ROV power cord.
Here is the control box for SeaMouse, yet to be labeled. The
left switch controls the port thruster (FWD and REV), and the right
switch the starboard thruster (FWD and REV). The SeaMouse has
slight positive buoyancy, so there is also a vertical thruster to
control descent and speed ascent, located above the right hand
switch. The three cables at the top of the image go to each of the
three thrusters, and the lower cable goes to the power supply.
Control Box Innards
Don't tell my theorist friends, but I did all the wiring and soldering
for the SeaMouse controls myself, and they work! This shows
the innards of the box when the job was done. Many thanks to
Michelle for teaching me some very helpful soldering secrets that
made this a lot easier.
Thruster - Axle
This is the axle of the thruster, where the prop will be attached.
The final construction step will be to put this assembly in a film
canister and fill it with wax to seal it against water. As you can
see in this image, the holes in the motor were covered in hot glue,
to prevent the wax from getting into the moving
parts of the thruster.
Here is the back end of the thruster, where the power wires have been
soldered to the terminals. The holes and terminals have been covered
over in hot glue. Additionally, the entire thruster has been wrapped
in black electrical tape to prevent wax from getting into the motor.
Page Maintained by: Shane L. Larson